Posted in Nov 23, 2017 in Reviews
, no comment
UM4 is the first Brand Ugoos device running under Android Nougat 7.1.2. Nougat brings new feelings in TV Box usage. New settings menu – combination of TV settings and standard phone settings looks fresh and more user-friendly for both Remote Controllers and mouse pointers. New animation looks up-to-date, smooth and have good reaction on RC actions. Combination of 4K resolution, H.265, H.264 and VP9 codecs and HDR function make device a reliable all-format media center at home or small office.
Ugoos UM4 RK3328 SoC Android 7.1 TV Dongle Features
– OTA Updates. Like all other Ugoos models, the Ugoos UM4 Android tv box also has OTA Firmware (OTA is also known as firmware that is automatically updated over the internet). As a result, the user never has to worry about the firmware updates. Within a few simple clicks, your firmware is completely up-to-date.
– Dual Channel Memory RAM. The Ugoos UM4 Android TV Box has 2GB of RAM memory. This work memory is DDR4 fastest type.
– 16 GB of internal Storage ROM. The Ugoos UM4 Android tv box also features a 16GB Nand Flash internal / flash storage. In addition, the user can also extend the storage itself with an SD card, external hard disk or USB stick.
– Google Play Store and gappps. In the Google Play Store you can download all applications you want to be a user. For example, think of the famous Facebook, Youtube, Gmail, Twitter, Picasa, Google+, MX player or Chrome. Do you like more games? Then you are also at the right place. For example, you can download games like Angry Birds, Fruit Ninja, Candy Crush Saga, Wordfeud and more. The Google Playstore now has more than 3 million apps!
– Ports and Gates. The Ugoos UM4 Android tv box features a full size USB 2.0 OTG port and a full size USB 3.0 port. These are ideal for connecting, for example, a Flymouse, external hard drive or other USB device. It also has 2.5mm IR jack, micro USB port for power, Dual Band WiFi 802.11 b/g/n/ac external antenna, 3.5mm AV output with composite and stereo audio, TF / micro SD card slot, HDMI 2.0a female port up to 4k @ 60 fps with CEC and HDR support and a recovery hole.
– Dual Band WiFi 2.4 Ghz/5.0 GHz 802.11 b/g/n/ac. The biggest advantage of the Ugoos UM4 Android tv box compared to other TV boxes is that the Ugoos UM4 Android TV box has an external WiFi antenna. This allows the device to get the maximum Internet connection / Internet speed. The built-in WiFichip supports dual-band WiFi 802.11 b / g / n / ac. This gives you a very fast and stable wifi connection.
– 4K UHD. The Ugoos UM4 Android TV Box supports 4K Ultra HD videos. This allows you to view crisp images and it seems like you’re there! H.265 encoded videos are also supported by the UT5. H.265 videos are very high quality videos that you can even stream about low bandwidth connections without overloading them too much.
– Autopower. Autopower means that the device automatically enters when the user connects the device to the mains. This means that no power button is needed.
– USB Switch. The user can set whether the USB port is used as an OTG port or USB port.
– LED Swttings. The user can determine the way in which the power LED flashes. In addition, the user can even determine if the power LED is on or off.
– Fan Settings. The user can determine when the fan is used for additional cooling of the system.
– Operating system. The operating system of the Ugoos UM4 Android tv box is Android 7.1 Nougat.
– Root. Root feature gives you access to the entire operating system of your TV Box. Certain applications requires root rights to operate in system. Be careful while using this feature, application activate it for should be trustful. Device rooted without reboot, but if you want to undo all changes, system will ask to restart device. For managing separate applications, you can choose Supersu installation. Popular function installed on all up-to-date Ugoos TV Boxes. Activate Root access you can in: Settings – Ugoos settings – System – Root.
– File Server. File server (Samba) allows sharing files among different OS devices in local network. This feature was one of the most popular functions on Ugoos boxes based on Android 4.4. and 5.1 based on RockChip and Amlogic SoCs. File server can work via Wi-Fi connection, but if load will be big, may need to use LAN adapter via USB to make this function proceed more effective and fast. In this release new local networks functions were added: NFS client and CIFS client. These functions make shared Windows folders visible in Android system. Samba server available in Settings – Ugoos settings – System – File server.
– Hardware Monitor. Hardware performance visualization is a useful feature if you prefer to control actual work and speed of your device. Now you can control your Box hardware performance more effectively. We added ability to place animated graphic icons in the upper bar, which can show real time main hardware values.
– Wireless Assistant. Users can control TV Box, play Android games with your mobile device being a wireless game pad and share media resources with Ugoos Box through the application. You can activate Fireasy assistant from settings menu: Settings – Ugoos Settings – Wireless Assistant. Mobile application for IOS and Android devices you can download using QR code on the screen or run ugoos.net/remote/
– Gamepad Settings. GS let you extend personalization of your TV Box and get more advantages during gaming process. Just connect you favorite gamepad run Ugoos settings – Gamepad Settings. In upper menu, choose previously connected gamepad and set buttons and axes. Safe and share profiles with your friends who also has Ugoos devices. More about Gamepad Settings in previous posts.
– Debug Settings. Another exclusive option will be useful for developers. Simple switchers let you connect device for application diagnostics using ADB via USB or Wi-Fi. Also Debug settings gives ability to gather Log files during TV Box processing. In first firmware, we already add some additional functions can be useful for casual usage and digital signage providers:
– Screen rotation. In Display settings, we add simple switcher in case if you need to use unusual screen rotate format. Besides Landscape and portrait format, we also add reversed versions of these positions and original mode to let applications choose rotation by system settings. Screen rotation also available in upper bar like in cellphones.
– Autoframerate. Via playback of many video samples, we concluded that sometimes AFR function in KODI is choosing best options for playback due to different video parameters. For more convenience, we set tree options for Frame Rate: System resolution / Video resolution priority / Frequency resolution priority. Kodi has their own Frame Rate settings, so these options enabled in other players with using generic codecs.Ugoos OS Settings
You’ll get a choice of 8 submenus with some options that are not commonly found in other TV boxes:
– Root Service – Enable/disable root access which can be useful as some apps require a system without root, while others won’t work with root. The user can easily turn off or turn on the root of the device.
– File server/client – The file manager allows the user to choose where applications are to be installed.
– Hardware Monitor – Shows network usage, CPU info, RAM info in notification bar. You can use the settings to display the cpu load / ram memory and the temperature on your desktop.
– Wireless Assistant – Remote control app for Android / iOS (download)
– Gamepad settings – Gamepad buttons mapping app. Profiles are shareable among users
– Debug settings – WiFi/USB Adb access, log files management, etc.
– NFS Client – NFS and SAMBA client, and SAMBA server. I understand the clients make your SAMBA/NFS server accessible from any apps
– User scripts – Create init.d directory is enabled, and allows advanced user to run scripts at boot time without rooting the device.
Next, watch the first impressions and the experience on Android Nougat 7.1.2 stock firmware.
Firmware tested: Android Nougat 7.1.2 stock
Kernel version: 3.10.104
Build number: UM4-userdebug 7.1.2 NHG47K eng.avagetto.20171011.171117 release-keys
Android Security Patch Level: April 5, 2017
Root: Firmware is not rooted, but you can root it from settings and it will install SuperSU also.
Oher: The stock firmware runs very smooth and I didn’t find any problems. During my tests, I didn’t experienced any applications force closes and hangups. Google Play Store and gapps are working just fine. 3rd party apps downloaded and updated without issues. It supports Cast Screen, Dual band Wifi 2.4 GHz /5 GHz, Bluetooth 4.0, USB Host, CEC, DLNA and Miracast functions. It is HDR 10 and 4K ultra HD 60 fps capable, and Kodi 17 and USB 3.0 ready.
Storage. Total Capacity: 16 GB of internal Storage, internal space available: 11 GB. The device sees with no problem at all my Mixza Tohaoll 128GB SDXC Micro SD Memory Card
and my Netac K330 1TB External HDD USB 3.0
.Full photo album here
. Unboxing Ugoos UM4 TV Dongle here
The launcher looks nice, it is fast, and we have the Google TV right settings menu. There are a very few preinstalled applications, including Google Play Store, Total Commander and Media Center.
In Antutu Video Tester 3.0 Ugoos UM4 TV Dongle scores 889 points, a very good score in this test ranking. It played smoothly almost all video file types; this firmware version fully supports 27 video & audio format files and it partially supports only 3 video & audio format files.
In Antutu Benchmark 6.2.7 the device achieves a good score, over 36.300 points.
Internet speed tested on both WiFi bands got incredible values. For 5 GHz WiFi, the download speed was over 116 Mbps and the upload speed over 101 Mbps. For 2.4 GHz WiFi, the download speed was over 41 Mbps and the upload was the same. The router used in this test is Xiaomi Mi WiFi Router.
Ugoos UM4 TV Dongle is indeed a very good device, you can try it out for a great experience on an Android TV Box.
Ugoos UM4 Pros
– OS: latest Android Nougat 7.1.2
– CPU: Rockchip RK3328 64-bit quad-corecortex-A53 fast processor
– GPU: Mali-450MP2
– 2GB DDR4 RAM + 16GB ROM eMMC
– Dual Band Wifi 2.4/5 GHz
– Root option already in OS settings (with SuperSU install)
– Micro SD card slot up to 128 GB tested
– External HDD up to 1GB tested
– Great launcher offers a better experience for users.
– OTA wireless firmware updates
– USB 3.0 ready
– HDMI 2.0 connector
– Bluetooth 4.0
– Beautiful IR remote
– External DualBand WiFi antenna for powerful signal reception
– Support 4Kx2K decode output
– H.264 H.265 encoder
– 10bit HDR 10, HLG support & 4K ultra HD 60fps
– DLNA & Miracast Protocol Support
– File Server, Hardware Monitor, Wireless Assistant, Gamepad Settings, Debug Settings, Autoframerate, Screen rotation options.
About Ugoos Ugoos Industrial Co., Ltd. is the first Dual core and Quad core TV dongle company that specializes in designing, R&D, manufacturing, and marketing of Android HD Media Players, Smart TV Box, Smart tv dongle, Set Top Box in China. In early 2011, Ugoos developed the first Dual core Android TV dongle in the world. As the leading company of Smart TV dongles and TV boxes in China, Ugoos has a European Development Team in China, always insists on the principles of high quality products, high quality service, and win-win relationships. We are committed to providing our customers with professional, safe, and stable HD Media Players solutions. Having been in this field for more than 3 years, Ugoos is now one of the leading companies among its domestic counterparts. Our products mainly include RK3066 Dual Core,RK3188 Quad Core, and RK3288 Quad Core products. In order to speed up the strategy of “Based in Shenzhen to Build a Global Brand”, Ugoos has set up after sales service agencies nationwide, and established foreign trade offices in Shenzhen. Ugoos’ products have been exported to Southeast Asia, Central Asia, Australia, the Middle East, Africa, and Europe. All of our products are strictly compliant with rules such as CE, FCC, and RoHS. Ugoos is owned by its staff, and its ups and downs are closely connected with every employee’s vital interests. It is only when the enterprise grows stronger that the employees can improve their living conditions as well as uplift their spirit. Therefore, with today’s fierce competition, Ugoos’ staff members must unite and collaborate in order to improve the company and ultimately to put it in an invincible position. Ugoos’ goal is to “Bring HD to Thousands of Households”
Did this article help you? If so, please tell me in a comment what do you think about it.
Don’t miss any of our future video tutorials, follow us on Youtube. Like us on Facebook. Add us in your circles on Google+. Watch our photo albums on Flickr. Subscribe now to our newsletter.